Saturday, December 16, 2023

Single Card Mail Day:2023 Mosaic Scripts Tom Coughlin

I don't think there are enough coaching cards in the hobby. I know some will shrug at that, but I know not all of you will.

I would have enjoyed having owned a coach card from every coach who had coached the Giants. Would have made for a fun collection. I do though have an autograph photo from the last three, so I guess that's something.

Occasionally Panini would do some coach cards in their products, mainly Contenders. Last year they did do one with current Giants coach Brian Daboll but the prices went haywire and not something I could afford.

However, I found out this year they included legendary coach Tom Coughlin on their Mosaic checklist.

I had to have it.

I was a fan of Toms even before he became the Giants head coach. I used to like watching the Jaguars and Panthers in the 90's and Tom was a heck of a coach for the Jags leading them to 4 playoff appearances and 2 AFC Championships including a big upset run in 1996 beating the heavily favored Bills and Broncos in only the teams second season of existence.

Tom was fired by the Jaguars after the 2002 season and hired by the Giants in 2004 after taking a year off. He led the Giants to 5 playoff appearances and two Super Bowls and was fired by the Giants after the 2015 season. I kind of wished he had stayed until he was ready to leave.

I am happy to add this autograph to my collection and wished more companies would add coaches to at least one product. Maybe even add the whole team's roster, that would be nice as well. Have it be like a 800-card base set. I would be all over that and I know some of you would be to.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Feel like baseball cards usually had manager cards and somewhere along the line that vanished. All sports should do it though. Adds a sense of completeness to a team set.

    ReplyDelete

Giants fan or not, leave your thoughts below (unless you like the Cowboys....jk....or am I?)